Gartneriet Thoruplund nursery was founded in 1946 by Sigurd Andersen, who started out producing vegetables outdoors. He later moved on from vegetables to cut flower production.
His son, Jørgen K. Andersen, took over the nursery in 1974 and began potted plant production of Schlumbergera, Campanula and Rhipsalidopsis in a production area of around 3,000 m2. These cultures are still the nursery’s main types.
The nursery production area has grown since then to 45,000 m2 of greenhouses which was increased from 1 January 2012 by 17,000 m2 through the multi-year lease of the Dania nursery. We at Gartneriet Thoruplund have, over the years, worked intensely on the development of our main cultures. Today the majority of the genetics used in production have been developed by us in-house. These are marketed under the brands Campanula ‘Blue Ocean’® and Thor-Cactus®. The focus in this development is quality, shelf life and new colours. For the past 5 years, we have produced Rosa Infinity®, where the quantities per. years are increasing.
In 2006, Jørgen’s children, the twins Bodil and Jacob, came home to the nursery, both of which were co-owners. In 2012, there was another generational change when Bodil and Jacob took over as the 3rd generation. Bodil with responsibility for administration and sales and Jacob for production.